Enbridge says it will begin reviewing contractors this year for Line 5 tunnel construction
Enbridge announced at the June 6 meeting that it will review contractors to build the Line 5 tunnel later this year.
An Enbridge representative said three contractors have submitted proposals for tunnel construction so far. The company will continue to update the Mackinac Straits Corridor Authority, which is responsible for overseeing the project.
The Authority also approved updates of the language in project specifications on the Enbridge tunnel.
Ryan Mitchell is the contracting manager for the Michigan Department of Transportation. He said the state will work with Enbridge to ensure changes in the plan stay within Michigan requirements and tunnel best practices.
“We want [our expert team] to stay and continue to evaluate these changes, so that none of these changes elapse before the authority can review and approve [them],”
Mitchell said as the tunnel project moves forward, changes to the construction plan will “inevitably arise,” and more public hearings will be scheduled.
For more information on this and past meetings, visit the Mackinac Straits Corridor Authority website.