A man was killed in northern Michigan while hunting for deer on opening day.
The man was shot Thursday afternoon by another hunter in Antrim County.
According to the preliminary investigation, the other hunter saw movement, thought the man –Justin Beutel – was a deer, and fired.
Lieutenant Jim Gorno is with Michigan Department of Natural Resources.
He says the DNR believes it was an accident, but they can’t rule out foul play yet.
Gorno says what happened yesterday is unusual.
“Our hunting accidents are way down from what they used to be 20, 30 40 years ago, and we attribute that to education.”
Last year, there was one hunting fatality in Michigan.